Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Where I'm at

is a place I love. I live in a place where even the paved roads are mostly dirt come Spring. The tractors from the fields going too and froe. I live in a place where having a garden is a natural thing we do. I live in a place where 24 hours is never enough time in a day.
Those are the things I love about where I live. But I also live in a place where planting 51 cabbage plants means only 1 will survive to the next day. I live in a place where the frost will hit the peach trees right after the blooms come out. I live in a place where the rain is not plentyful.
So what does a person do that depends on these things for the winter months of feeding a family of 5. Well I plant more plants, spray the trees with homemade orgainic fruit tree spray, and pray. Pray that we will get through this and get rain. But in the mean time we will collect as much water we can and plant more veggies that the birds will leave alone.

What do you love about where you live?

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Where I'm at is an area called The Knobs...sharp hills and valleys where the glaciers stopped.

I love standing at the back of my property and having 270 degrees of unobstructed view.

I love looking out the front door and seeing my mom's neck of the woods, 5 miles away.

I love that the old woman across the road was related to me on both sides of my family and her children live next door. It's good to have family close :)

I love that we have so many natural resources here: deer, good soil, plentiful water, comfortable seasons.

I love that my children can jump the fence and walk through the back field to visit their cousin Mo.

I love it when the old farmer plants field corn and we have a 7 ft. tall corn privacy fence on 2-3 sides of the house.

I love it that the trees and vines that we planted years ago are starting to produce.

I love that I can stay home and raise my kids because we opted for a modest home.

I love it that my kids have space to run, clean air to breathe, neighbors we can trust.