Tuesday, September 1, 2009

August update

With everything going on on our bit of soil we are taking time and praying for all those that are in SoCal that are in danger of losing their homes due to the fires that are still burning.
The gardens are starting to wind down and we were blessed with a lot of veggies for our pantry. The pantry is full and the pears are just now ripening. We have had some rather cool weather here, feeling more like October then Sept.
Now for August our garden totals are awesome, 424 pounds and 12 oz for the month!!! With 311 pounds just in tomatoes. Of course they are not all done yet but We have surpassed our goal of 600 pounds for the year.
The above poundage came from watermelon, cantaloupe, petris squash, pumpkins, tomatoes, sunflower seeds, peppers, acorn squash, sweet dumpling squash, app;es, and tomatillos.
So far our grand total is 794 pounds.

Our tomatoes per pound selling at the farmers market for 99 cents per pound has saved us $307.89
Our watermelons have saved us $5.99.
our peppers have saved us $4. 78

Saving our family well over $300 dollars just this month. Of course the whole year is not done and I am working on totals for the year to see how much has been saved. But with everything I have ever grown it was always worth the effort instead of buying it. It's always better for you and tastes 100 times better then processed foods.

1 comment:

jake said...

WOW!!!! Totally amazing numbers! I am completely impressed and your work helps motivate me, so thanks.

This year my big garden plans fell short. I wanted to plant a lot of things, but ended up just doing tomatoes & potatoes. Most of my potatoes didnt do well, I think because I didnt buy seed, instead just using the potatoes from the store, which can have disease. My tomatoes however are all doing pretty good. I have over 100 lbs now... And I think by end of season I could top 200#. We'll see... lots of tomato plants still on the verge of pumping out more tomatoes!