Monday, April 27, 2009

Moneys tight - so glad we garden

With the veggies growing just as fast as we can get them planted I am thankful for the fruits of our labor. We garden for the nourishment but we also garden to save money. Now I am happy we do. My husband recently got a new job that he starts on Friday. This new job means alot to our family. First it is a pay cut but it has benefits that we don't have now. That means alot less worry for the family. SO with the pay cut and the economy we will not have to cut expenses in our menus because of this change in career choice. I feel we are well equipped for the lack of a pay check for the next month. We always have kept extra things in the house so we are well stocked and some emergency money in the bank, just in case. We picked up our beef a few weeks ago. Its organic raised on grass and is rather good.

Also I found an awesome recipe for dishwasher detergent so that expense is gone with the wind also. I found this recipe on youtube. The recipe is as follows:
1 1/2 cups borax
1 1/2 cups baking soda
1 cup salt

Shake well and add about 1/3 of a cup per load and It washes the dishes wonderfully. I also add vinegar to the rinsing agent dispenser . Our hard water tends to leave a white residue on the dishes but the vinegar rinses them clean with a shine.

The kids are looking forward to this new venture also. They are excited that dad will be home in the middle of the day and have daylight to be able to fish more this summer. And with only 29 more days of school left the new job came at a perfect time!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

What does the salt do? Is it just for abrasive purposes, or does it help with the residue or what??? Either way I'm going to try it, but I'm just curious what the sodium does.