Thursday, May 28, 2009

Garden in May

Our garden is really full. Some would say too full but nah we don't think that. With the recent rains( every day for 4 days) its very hard to get into the garden to pull weeds but I will post the garden pics anyway. So here you go.


In the photo on the top the veggies are 8 zucchini, 83 tomato plants, 10 rows of corn, then the potatoes. The picture to the right of the page is from the other side of the garden. First this way is the dreaded weeds that are growing everywhere in the garden, sunflowers the kids planted (heavy), 2 rows of onions ( 2 different kinds), melons, cucumbers, peppers, then the potatoes.



The potato box in the right is on its 3rd run. It is really growing well. I am excited to see how many spuds are In there. If they do well I am wanting to make an extended box to fit the garden better. A lot of people who have used the potato boxes say they grow a lot of potatoes in them so I am waiting to see how many more the box has then just the ones in the garden.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm extremely interested in the potato box... presently our potatoes are in a 55 gallon barrel packed with straw and soil. I'm hoping this approach works as it won't take up a bunch of space in the garden.

We're enjoying day 3 of 4 forecasted rainy days...what is it about rain that makes the garden grow better than watering???

Jan said...

I believe its the thunder that shakes the ground.
I hear ya. I would have so much more rome in the garden if the potatoes could be somewhere else. We have 6 rows. Let me know how your barrels does. I had made the potato bin to size only to hold one seed per box. Only reason for this is because our scrap wood we burn in the wood stove is this size so I made the box out of scrap. If it does well I will probably buy some rough cut lumber and make a bunch of bins.