Saturday, March 14, 2009

Jan., Feb., March dollars

How much things cost. I hear about it all around. Wow you plant this much it must cost a fortune. Well this is why I am going to keep updates here on what I spend and what I save through the year to see just what REALLY comes out on top.

This years supplies so far:

seeds - $75

100 strawberry plants - $39

5 fruit trees - $40

utility light for growing seeds - $10

mini greenhouse to start plants early - $40

soil - $40

Total so far - $244

Yes that seems like a lot of money but I bought things gradually and I hope to get it back through harvest. Also most of the things won't need to be bought again next year if I do it right. The soil was a unexpected purchase which we thought our compost would have been ready before we needed it but it didn't get hot enough soon enough to make the compost to the dirt we needed for the many raised beds we built this year.
So when I harvest produce from our garden I will weigh it and go by the "average" price per pound for here in our state. Then I will add it all up and see how much money I have saved by growing our food instead of buying it at the local market.

No comments: