Monday, March 16, 2009

Spring?


Could it be? Spring? Well the daffodils are up and flowering and I just couldn't resist picking these and bringing them into the house. The robins are finding the best tree for there nests. The lilac bushes are budding and waiting for a bit of warmer weather before flowering. The peas have been planted. The weather is getting warmer every day.

The tomatoes are coming up and look very happy to be alive again this year. We have planted several varieties this year including German green, Rutgers, Break Odays, Dads sunset, Mama Leone. The cabbage is looking very well even though they are late due to the new "lesson learned" episode earlier last month. ( Lesson learned - onions and cabbage were killed by extremely cold unexpected weather in the shed)



Tomorrow I will be going to my moms to get some cardboard - some for things - some for use in the raised bed.
All in all I am excited about the weather being warm enough to get out of the house and get my hands dirty in the rick soil that longs for plants to grow and nourish my family.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jan,
I have enjoyed reading your blog. And I really like the pictures ogf the daffodills. I am really proud of you raising such a big garden and saving soooo much money. At least youknow that you and your family are going to eat healty foods. Keep up this blog and youwill meet new friends who will have tons of advice for you.
Janie